While attempting to modify one of my beet cookie recipes into a nut-free version, I experimented my way into these lemon blueberry cookies with cassava flour. The good news? These are delicious. Bad news? They don’t have beets. Oh well, we’ll just have to eat those beets some other way. In the meantime, this sweet little snack is sure to be a crowd-pleaser that also happens to be gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free.
These are also fairly simple to make. To get started, place the applesauce, avocado oil, eggs, Medjool dates (with pits removed), and vanilla in a blender or food processor for about 1 minute on high speed.
While these are blending, combine the cassava flour, lemon zest, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Cassava, or yuca as I first knew it, has a special place in my heart. If you aren’t familiar with this plant, it’s a yummy, tuberous vegetable that’s eaten in many parts of the world. As a Peace Corps volunteer in Nicaragua, one of my favorite dishes was chancho con yuca, a yummy pork and cassava treat served on a plantain leaf.
If you had told me then that I would someday be making lemon blueberry cookies with my yuca, I’m sure I would have called that idea a little loca. However, crazy or not, cassava as a gluten-free flour is both delicious and a good source of carbohydrates, minerals, and important fiber. I use the TerraSoul Superfood brand simply because it’s organic, but I’ve also used other quality brands that I’ve found both locally and online.
As far as zesting a lemon, this video gives a good explanation of several different methods. I just use my cheese grater, but do whatever works for you.
Add the blueberries and stir them into the dough. Next, use your hands or a spoon to form and place 12 cookies on the prepared baking sheet. Don’t worry if the dough is a little sticky. Bake at 350 degrees for about 17 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let the cookies cool for about 20 minutes before enjoying.
As you know, I love to pack my baked goods with veggies, so it feels a little strange to share this one. However, these lemon blueberry cookies with cassava flour are just too good to mess with. Stay tuned for my next recipe, which I promise, will involve some sneaking of the beets. 🙂
- 2 Cups Cassava Flour
- 1 Cup Blueberries
- ¾ Cup Applesauce
- ⅓ Cup Avocado Oil
- 8 Medjool Dates
- 2 Eggs
- Zest of Two Medium Lemons (Approximately 2 Tablespoons)
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Thoroughly wash the lemons with soap and water. Dry well with a towel before zesting. (See link in post for instructions on how to zest a lemon.)
- Carefully remove pits from dates before adding to a blender or food processor along with the applesauce, avocado oil, eggs, and vanilla. Blend for about 1 minute at high speed.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cassava flour, lemon zest, baking soda, and salt. Add the mixture from the blender and stir.
- Stir the blueberries into the batter.
- Form 12 cookies with your hands and/or spoon. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for about 17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 20 minutes before enjoying.
Disclaimer: Some of the links on this post are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase from these links. I have used all of the products I link and recommend them because they are helpful and from companies I trust, not because I may receive a commission.