These gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free muffins are baked with green banana flour and packed with sweet potatoes. I hope you enjoy this unique recipe as much as we do.
I love to sneak veggies into my baked goods and these muffins are no exception. In the batch pictured in this post, I used an organic hanna sweet potato. This is the variety with a white flesh that turns a yellowish color when cooked. It’s really sweet and I could eat it by the spoonful! I’ve also made these muffins with jewel sweet potatoes (an orange variety) with equally delicious results.
Did you know there are actually sixteen different varieties of sweet potato? Amazing! Leave a comment if you try this recipe with any of the other varieties and let us know what you think!
Green Banana Flour
Not only is green banana flour one of my favorite flours for baking, but it’s also a great source of resistant starch, which means it’s high in fiber and great for gut health. Look for it in your local health-food store or on Amazon. A two-pack of this flour sells for about $14.00 and will provide enough flour to make six batches of these muffins.
Okay, so let’s bake!
The first step is to cook and mash the sweet potato. I chose to steam the sweet potato, but baking would work as well. Just make sure it’s fully cooked and mashes easily. The sweet potato chunks pictured below were ready after steaming for about 30 minutes.
After mashing the sweet potato, allow it to cool before measuring out one cup to combine with the mashed banana.
Add the wet ingredients to the banana and sweet potato, mixing well. In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.
Combine and stir all of the ingredients before scooping the batter into a lined muffin tin. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- ¾ cup organic green banana flour
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ⅓ cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Peel, steam, and mash one sweet potato. Let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana and combine with one cup of the mashed sweet potato.
- Add the coconut milk, avocado oil, apple sauce, maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla to the mashed sweet potato and banana.
- In a separate bowl, combine the green banana flour, cinnamon, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and stir.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Disclaimer: Some of the links on this post are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase from these links. I have used all of the products I link and recommend them because they are helpful and from companies I trust, not because I may receive a commission.